Story Stiffening thread, making your sci-fi harder.

A setting has to have various rules in place to be worthwhile, after all if the death of a character is inconsequential there isn't much investment in a story that concerns itself with the character potentially dying.

Sci-fi is often classified by how often these rules are bent and how many there are. A setting where a rule of what can and cannot be done doesn't exist or bends very often is referred to as 'soft' while a setting that has many rigid rules is in turn referred to as 'hard'. A setting that is perfectly soft is entirely unrelatable and destroys the suspension of disbelief in the reader. In turn a perfectly hard setting is barely sci-fi at all.

As an author it would be best to consider your setting a sandbox while these rules are the tools and water you use to build the sandcastle that is your story. Borrowing concepts from real life to build your story with has a major flaw for most authors through, technical knowledge, which is where this thread comes in. Arcmoose and HFY both enjoy users who are sci-fi fans and have a overflowing of technical knowledge that they are all too willing to share in the pursuit of entertainment.

Have a question about guns? Their inner workings or concepts they may work on in the future that seem foreign to modern thought but are firmly grounded in reality? Ask it here.

Have a question about physics? Time Dilation? Orbiting Lagrange points? Ask it here.

Have a question about biology? Wondering if humans are really the endurance monsters we like to say they are? Wondering what the water ape hypothesis is? Ask it here.

If I did this on the subreddit it wouldn't last a day.

This is a very good idea, actually. I totally support this, and I'll try to help whereever I can.

Wondering if humans are really the endurance monsters we like to say they are?
To answer this one right away, kind of. It really depeds on what kind of setting you throw us into. If, like on earth, every other land-based creature has evolved around sprint-hunting, this is the case, merely because, well, we didn't. However, this is rather improbable, especially considering that endurance hunting is the most effective hunting form if a lifeform is required to move on two legs-it is a lot more energy-efficient to endurance hunt with two legs then it is to try and sprint down another being, that presumably has more, so, if the aliens have only two legs, or appendages for movement purposes, the probably would also be endurance hunters.

Then again, your settings, your rules.

MyNameMeansBentNose

Writer
Another interesting thing might be a 'lets break it' thread. I think I wouldn't mind that if it was for the sake of building it back up or finding the things that need to be filled or carefully managed.

You can even bust up Bought and Sold if the interest takes you. I'm always fighting with the inner suspicion that I've missed something simple and important.

But above that, I'm tempted to argue feedback deserves its own forum where people can come in to have ideas tossed around for the sake of filling in the holes.

Another intereting thing might be a 'lets break it' thread. I think I wouldn't mind that if it was for the sake of building it back up or finding the things that need to be filled or carefully managed.

I'm tempted to argue feedback deserves its own forum where people can come in to have ideas tossed around for the sake of filling in the holes.
YES, PLEASE. I just psoted a thread asking for tips about writing, and i posted it in "post your writing" because hoenstly this doesn't really fit into a casual chat-subforum, in my opinion, but the story-posting subforum doesn't fit much better...