Meta Experiments in a Self-sufficiency: Google AdSense

ctwelve

The Lore-Seeker
Staff member
Writer
Hello,

Yes. Ads.

Ultimately this forum needs to sustain itself and relying on donations is likely to be problematic. At the present time, hosting costs me personally about $20-50 a month; I will need a longer sample time to see how well that holds up. That’s a price point I can comfortably manage, but at the same time I don’t want to constantly bother people for donations. We’re not NPR after all, and the whole point is for this to be unobtrusive and fun, right?

Sadly, ads are about the only way to do that. But that doesn’t mean we need to be evil about it. We decided to use Google AdSense over the competitors because of the much better risk profile, quick loading, and generally better/safer user experience they offer. We are also experimenting with placement to see what works the best, but we need feedback, obviously.

Anyway, this is an experiment. Feel free to provide feedback, but keep it constructive.

ctwelve

The Lore-Seeker
Staff member
Writer
I've done my first tweak and disabled auto-ads. They're a case of Google trying to "help" by automatically modifying the page to put ads where they think they'll work. So, nah. I want to start very basic. One ad, one ad only per page. Just to see if this is any kind of workable.

Being honest I'm not convinced.

MyNameMeansBentNose

Writer
...Bleh. I'm less and less happy with this.
Can't blame you. As long as tracking and invasive ads are a thing it'll make anyone with a sense is decency annoyed with them. I'm under no illusions about whether or not that includes site owners.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't have to be self sufficient! Give it a bit of time to see how it goes.

ctwelve

The Lore-Seeker
Staff member
Writer
Can't blame you. As long as tracking and invasive ads are a thing it'll make anyone with a sense is decency annoyed with them. I'm under no illusions about whether or not that includes site owners.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't have to be self sufficient! Give it a bit of time to see how it goes.
I've always felt that one or two discrete ads isn't bad. It's when they appear EVERYWHERE that things get...y'know.

Appears to be working just fine. Placement is ok, could be improved by placing the banner add in the top ABOVE the thread title, so as one can directly read the title and the actual thread in one go.